Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Upcoming opera and concerts

A feast of Holy Week - and nearly-Holy Week - opera awaits, along with some equally mouthwatering concerts:

First, in London, the Royal Opera's first ever production of Rimsky-Korsakov's The Tsar's Bride opens on Thursday, under the baton of Sir Mark Elder. Paul Curran directs. I caught a glimpse of a rehearsal the other day; in terms of stage design, at least, it is not 'traditional'. (The rumour is that it was to have been, but finances would not permit. Why do I have a feeling that we might have been spared Francesca Zambello...? Pure speculation, I hasten to add...) Further details may be found here on the Royal Opera's website; there are still plenty of tickets available.

I am very sorry not to be seeing Bayreuth poll-winner Stefan Herheim's new Salome (with the Berlin Philharmonic, Sir Simon Rattle, and a starry cast) at the Salzburg Easter Festival. Entartete Musik will be there though, so do check for a report. However, there will also be a new Salome opening in Berlin, at the Komische Oper, whose second night I shall be seeing on Friday. Here are a couple of production pictures to whet the appetite:



Then it is across town to the Schiller-Theater, where the Staatsoper has found its temporary home. Daniel Barenboim will conduct two premieres: Wozzeck (director, Andrea Breth) Die Walküre (director Guy Cassiers, already seen at La Scala; here is a review of the Rheingold). For more details on the Staatsoper's Holy Week Festtage, click here. Finally in Berlin, a concert from Klangforum Wien and Marisol Montalvo at the Konzerthaus: Dowland's Lacrimae and Birtwistle's extraordinary Pulse Shadows.

A little later in the week, I shall be in Leipzig, where I shall hear the St John Passion at the Thomaskirche (Maundy Thursday; click here for a review of the performance two years ago) and a Good Friday Parsifal from Oper Leipzig (which production I also saw, click here, two years ago).

Back in London, the end of the month will bring Konstantin Lifschitz's Art of Fugue at the Wigmore Hall and, the perfect south-of-the-river antidote to nuptial sentimentality on The Day itself, Maurizio Pollini at the Royal Festival Hall, playing Boulez's Second Piano Sonata, along with Chopin and Debussy. (Click here for a review of the same programme performed in Berlin last year, one of my performances of 2010.)

4 comments:

Lucy said...

In Bach's church for the Johannespassion on Maundy Thursday, and then on to Parsifal for Good Friday? Amazing. Sounds like a very exciting trip altogether, but... that is amazing. I suppose I can't non-sinfully envy you, can I?

Mark Berry said...

I think it is a rather minor, certainly understandable sin, which can be washed away pretty thoroughly in Christ's blood, come the Resurrection on Easter Day...

Henry Holland said...

Ah, forget all that religious stuff, I'm jumping straight to: envious. It must be so nice to be a cheap flight > train ride from so much interesting stuff.

EC said...

I see Maazel's Mahler missing from the list.. understandably, there's been a lot of hesitance about this cycle, but having been to the second concert (recent decision), I can quite certainly say this is the best Mahler I have heard this year so far - who have thought?! If you're in town, don't discount Maazel quite yet.